Monday, December 16, 2013

The Case Against Algebra 2

I completely agree with Mr. Baker! Algebra 2 should not be a REQUIRED course! It is stressful and extremely difficult for some students. While other students grasp the concept quickly, this is not the case for all students. I took algebra 2 as a freshman in high school. I took "honors" because I know that I am a level 1 student. I worked my butt off in that class to receive an 81 for the year. I understand that a B is not the worst grade in the world, but after never receiving anything less than an A, I was terribly disappointed in myself. People tell me "You should have just taken Level 2" But a level 2 class would bring down my GPA and my weighted class rank. If only they had a math class without all those levels and for students who know that they do not want to be in the math field. I have always known that I wanted to do fashion journalism and no math is required to enter that field yet there I was sitting in an honors algebra 2 class struggling. Mr. Baker's idea would eliminate the amount of stress students go through and eliminate the lack of esteem felt by students when they can't do the material.  

No comments:

Post a Comment